Champions of Science-Africa Storytelling Challenge: YASE Edition
A tremendous amount of scientific innovation is taking place across Africa, with many researchers and entrepreneurs developing new solutions to make a positive impact in their own communities, and around the world. But their achievements often remain unrecognized.
Through the “Champions of Science – Africa Storytelling Challenge”, we aim to showcase the contributions of the talented and passionate scientists and innovators from Africa, to build public engagement and support for science, and inspire the next generation to pursue scientific fields that will have the potential to drive Africa’s socio-economic transformation.
The YASE Edition of the challenge is open specifically to the registered attendees of the 2018 Young African Scientists in Europe (YASE) conference.
Deadline: July 31, 2018
- Any registered attendee of the 2018 Young African Scientists in Europe (YASE) conference, who is a citizen of a country in Africa and is also a scientist, science student or innovator, affiliated with a higher-education institution, research institution, government, private company, NGO or an innovation hub doing research in any scientific field with the goal of making a positive impact on society is encouraged to participate.
- You must be authorized by your affiliated institution to represent the research or innovation being profiled.
- Short bio & photo
- A 250-500 word written story OR 2-3 minute video that discusses the following topics:
- What inspired you/motivated you to become a scientist? What obstacles have you had to overcome in your journey?
- What societal challenge/problem do you hope to address through your scientific work? What impact could this have on society?
- Why is it important to tell stories of science and engage the public in understanding and supporting scientific innovation?
*Stories will be accepted in English and in French.*
- Additional images that help tell your story are highly encouraged, but not required.
- All accepted file formats: PDF (.pdf), MS Word (.doc), MS Word (.docx), .avi, .mp4, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, Youtube and Vimeo links
- If you are submitting a video, please click here for important video guidelines and tips!
**Applicant should have prior permission from any individual who is recognizable in a photo or video he/she wishes to include as part of his/her Application. The use of photo’s of an individual and/or the appearance of an individual in a photo or video shall not infringe the individuals’ right to privacy.**
- $1,000 prize
- All valid stories to be published in the Champions of Science compendium via JNJInnovation.com
- Does the story address the questions outlined in the submission requirements?
- Quality of the story – how well is the idea communicated? Is it engaging?
About Champions of Science:
Science touches our lives in every imaginable way. From antibiotics and telecommunications, to genomics, precision medicine and 3D printing, science has improved the human condition, leading to longer, healthier, happier lives for people all over the world. To continue to advance, science needs champions!
As a global healthcare company, the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is uniquely positioned to champion the role of science in society. Through our Champions of Science platform, we work to convene and catalyze champions of science, and engage people of all generations and backgrounds to see the unlimited opportunities that science brings.